Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Where I am From.


bearfoot. that's how I roll.


I am from cholados, mamonas, and lechonas.
(must-eat in my small town)
From the freshly made orange juice in the break of dawn.
I am from the biggest tree in the world 
and red roses on Valentine's Day.
I am from horseback riding in the midst of twilight
And jumping in the pool when everyone’s asleep.
I am from the road between Bogotá and Villavicencio,
From ayude a bajar el mercado and no pelee con su hermana.

I am from the suitcase full of Christmas gifts
And Avianca tickets to only one destiny.
From los 40 Principales, la Mega, and a Kia Sportage.
I am from hammocks and a good book on a Sunday afternoon.
From Dad’s deep talks and guiding words.
I am from Jesus and my caring angel, my grandpa.
From Mom’s strength and unfailing faith.

 I am from Villavicencio and Menegua, arepas, caldito y chocolate.
From my Dad’s Sunday morning breakfast.
I am from the day after a good parrando llanero
(the best parties I've ever been to)
When everything is quiet because everyone’s asleep.
I am from bonfires and horror stories underneath the warm branches of my tree.
From the most beautiful sunsets in the world,
To the endless starred skies
And the best memories in the most remote place on earth

I am from digital picture frames
Telling our lives, 3 seconds 
at a time.
I am from pictures where there's too many people
and someone usually gets cut off. 
I am from tight hugs and longing eyes
I am from crying when I say good-bye
And promising my return
Because I can never wait 
For the time when I'll be back
To where 
I belong. 


I love to dance with my horse!!!! don't deny it... you loved it!



6 comments:

  1. Wow! you pimped it out with your video and photo. You poem really gives us insight into who you are. It reminds me of Esmeralda Santiago's When I Was Puerto Rican.
    This is my favorite stanza:I am from digital picture frames
    Telling our lives, 3 seconds
    at a time.
    I am from pictures where there's too many people
    and someone usually gets cut off.
    I am from tight hugs and longing eyes
    I am from crying when I say good-bye
    And promising my return
    Because I can never wait
    For the time when I'll be back
    To where
    I belong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I really like your poem it was really cool the video and the picture. good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so you, totally where you're from!!! Beautiful work

    ReplyDelete
  4. This explains a lot about you!!! I never knew you had a horse!! Well, think your poem is Legitisimo. Also, the video was interesting, i think you are the first person to dance on a horse!! (!-!)~~~ Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so muchhh guysss i love youuuuu<33

    ReplyDelete