Saturday, September 17, 2011

Finally Free.



  My dearest Jack,

     My family and myself have been persecuted for as long as I can remember. King James 1 has been harassing us because of our religious views, so I have decided to make a voyage to the new world. The idea of modifying my lifestyle derived from the numerous comments about the wonderful place it is to live, "you'll be finally free" they said. I had been pondering about this matter for months, it wasn't a spontaneous decision, I might add. It broke my fragile heart to leave my old life behind, but with the hopes that we would finally be together after so many years, I envision myself crossing the vast ocean to the west in an endeavor to search for your company ones more.
      We finally arrived after a journey that lasted a long time. We had to cope with the scarce resources. Even less luxuries than what we had in England, considering we were broke. I had a feeling our captain was acting in a guile manner when he spoke to us about the days we'd been sailing and that worried me.  Taking in account the exhausting voyage and the hardness of the path ahead of us, the adventurous settlers, me among them, decided to sign the Mayflower Compact. We all believed it was and imperative document in order to get the settlement going.
        I must be honest with you, my disposition for the first weeks was very gloomy, there was not much food and winter was coming fast. My body, in terms of health, needed to be resilient upon facing the many diseases. I couldn’t succumb to the menacing weather. Jack, oh Jack, how I miss you to this day, your face recurs in my thoughts every single day. I wish we could be together again. If it was my decision I'd take some food and visit you in Jamestown but our leaders here in Plymouth considered this decision despicable and selfish, certainly not for the general good of the colony.
         Even with all of this, and the menacing winter ahead of us, I'm happy to be finally free to love God the way I want to. I shall communicate with you more often. In these times of despair I need your word to brighten my days and give me strength. I hope the love pervades our hearts because I’m not ready to give up. Thank you for the support you've given me, even when you weren't by my side, you've proven how much you love me.

                                                                             Forever Yours,
                                                                                          Abigail                   

1 comment:

  1. Angie awesome job! I really liked how you made your letter historically unique and how you put a lot of emotion to it. All words were used correctly. :)<3

    ReplyDelete